We have had requests for American Made products and wood eyecare products. There is a growing trend for wood eyewear and accessories, partly because the eco- friendliness of it and I think due to unemployment, many handy carpenters have have the vision to indulge their hobby and make some money. Based upon consumers requests and comments on OptiBoard, here is a list of Wood Eyewear companies and where they are manufactured.
Most of the wood craftsmen has grown in the last two years, many of the wood frame companies are made in the USA, The first ‘Wood Eyewear’ Reader is being introduced by Rons Optical
Top Eyewear Companies That Offer Wood Eyewear-
- Capitol Eyewear- (New) eyewear launch, Twitter and Facebook
- Boe and Sunde Boe and Sunde (Netherlands)
- Cartier Eyewear- Has has wood temples
- Drift Eyewear (California) Wood and Acetate, FSC Certified wood and gives back to 1% for the Planet
- Eye Shoulda (CO) Custom handmade wood eyewear 970.988.3314, also on Facebook, Twitter and a Blog
- Fritz Eyewear (Australia)
- Gold and Wood (Miami, FL) Luxury wood eyewear, also on Facebook
- Herrlicht (Germany) Handmade Wood eyewear
- Holy Green (France) Wood and Horn Eyewear)
- Indie Nation (One style) and I think they are out of Australia.
- iWood (KY) (Louisville, KY) Eco Friendly wood eyewear,
- M.A.D.E (Danish) Founded in 2004
- Matteo Ragni (Italy) Handmade Wood Eyewear
- Micro Mega (Italy) Wood Top Bars for rimless Frames
- Michele B– (Paris, France) uses wood in her eyewear
- MoonWoods (Washington) Collaboration of Various Artists who make wood eyewear and jewelry
- OGA Wood Eyewear (Distributed by Morel)
- Proof Eyewear (Eagle, ID) sunwear, donates back to eye hospitals, deforestation in Haiti and eyeglass recycling.
- Rolf Spectacles (Austria0 They Also Have Bamboo) and have won design awards for their wooden eyeglasses. Winner of 2010 Red Dot Award.
- Sagawafuji (Japan) launched wood eyewear, but cannot find a site
- Shwood Eyewear (Canby, OR) Handmade wood eyeglasses- on Facebook, Twitter
- Sires Eyewear- (Los Angeles, CA) New company-Eco Friendly biodegradable wood eyewear , Support Trees For the Future. YouTube Videos
- Spectacle Eyeworks (Canada). Uses Canadian Maple, hand carved Canadian Motifs.
- Takemoto Handmade (Hong Kong)
- Urban Spectacles (Chicago, IL) Handmade Wood Spectacles, eyewear made from records and bicycles. Eco Friendly eyeglasses
- Villa Eyewear- Allesandra Soresina Wood Temples, new launch 2010
- Waiting For The Sun (Paris, France)
- Wooden Specs Studio (Indianapolis, IN) New company-Wooden eyewear
- Teka Eyewear (USA) Uses wood as decor
- Anni Shades Alliance, OH (Launch Jan. 2011) Twitter, Facebook
For those who want the wood look without the price, you have several options:
Legre Launched a Wood Look and will be showing at Vision Expo West
OGI also has a wood look and will be at Vision Expo West.
Last by not least- Astucci launched a metal ‘wood’ clamshell eyeglass case in July of 2011