Growing Fashion Eyewear Trend- Wood Eyewear And Sunglasses
I just posted another new eyewear company that is making wood eyeglasses to be sold direct to the consumer. When you google Wood Eyeglasses (802,000 Results) Wood Eyewear (1, 210,000 Results) there is quite a few results for such a small niche eyewear market. Wood Eyeglasses are not new, they were among the first eyeglass materials used, Remember the wood Wayfarer years ago?
Many companies are using Wood as decor or embellishments You can find vintage Cazal Caviar ‘s with exotic wood, Lee Allen uses wood and bamboo for temples and Micro Mega (Italy) uses wood for Eyewear Top Bars
In Asia there seems to be a few individuals such as Mr. Takemoto, (who shows up frequently in google) and artisans out of China and India making wood eyeglasses and selling online. Then of course some companies such as Manik offer their own seasonal wood eyewear. Then other artistic designer such a Bendall Design make up an occasional limited edition pieces.
Just how many wood eyewear companies are there? Is this a trend? Of the below listed companies- Seven of them are new (this year) and a couple are fairly new (in the last 2 years. Did these budding eyewear designers start due to the economy?
Why I really like this trend
- Finally eyewear made in the USA, yes support our economy, buy local and support local entrepreneurs.
- Craftmanship- between some of the wood carving (Spectacle Eyeworks) and the handmade aspect set these apart from the standard plastic and metal frames.
- The majority of these companies are Eco Friendly and support causes and give back, whether by planting trees or an overall giveback program
- Carrying wood eyewear sets an eyecare office apart from the competition. Wood eyewear is not a mass produced product.
- Each piece looks different- Due to the inherent qualities of wood and the textures, each piece is unique to the wood.
- A few of the companies do custom work as well, excellent way to provide customer service.
- Appeals to a distinctive and non-managed care market.
Top 19 Eyewear Companies That Offer Wood Eyewear- (I will keep updating as I find new companies (9-25-10)
- Capital Eyewear- (New) eyewear launch, Twitter and Facebook wearcapital.com
- Cartier Eyewear- Has has wood temples for years
- Drift Eyewear (New) Wood and Acetate, FSC Certified wood and gives back to 1% for the Planet
- Eye Shoulda (CO) Custom handmade wood eyewear 970.988.3314, also on Facebook, Twitter and a Blog
- Gold and Wood (Miami, FL) Luxury wood eyewear, also on Facebook
- Herrlicht (Germany) Handmade Wood eyewear
- iWood (KY) (Louisville, KY) Eco Friendly wood eyewear, fairly new company
- M.A.D.E (Danish) Founded in 2004
- Matteo Ragni (Italy) Handmade Wood Eyewear
- Micro Mega (Italy) Wood Top Bars for rimless Frames
- OGA (Morel, France) Has wood temples
- Rolf Spectacles (They Also Have Bamboo) and have won design awards for their wooden eyeglasses
- Shwood Eyewear (Canby, OR) Fairly new company- Handmade wood eyeglasses- on Facebook, Twitter
- Sires Eyewear- (CA) New company-Eco Friendly biodegradable wood eyewear , Support Trees For the Future. YouTube Videos
- Spectacle Eyeworks (Canada) The wood collection is fairly new. At Vision Expo
- Urban Spectacles (Chicago, IL) Handmade Wood Spectacles, eyewear made from records and bicycles. Eco Friendly eyeglasses
- Villa Eyewear- Allesandra Soresina Wood Temples, new launch
- Wooden Specs Studio (Indianapolis, IN) New company-Wooden eyewear
- Holy Green (France) New company, rimless eyewear with wood temples
Wood Look Eyewear