Many people have asked us what a blog is. A Blog is a journal kept on the internet. This journal is often updated daily and contains all information that the person or business maintaining the BLOG (Blogger) wishes to share with the world. The activity of updating a blog is “blogging” and someone who keeps a blog is a “blogger.” Blogs are typically updated daily using software that allows people with little or no technical background to update and maintain the blog. (which is us!)
A blog is a website- only is cheaper to run, easier to update, and much more interactive than a standard website. What that means is any person can set up a blog. It is very easy, (Typepad, Blogger, WordPress, ) offer free software and set up. You can run your business (buy and sell products), have your own domain name (that does cost), your own email, download pictures, conduct patient surveys and much more from a blog. Depending on the type of blog you want, it can take about 10 minutes to set up your blog!
In these competitive times, blogging can open up a whole new competitive arena for your optical business. Your patients are much more internet savvy, buying and researching more products on line and not using yellow pages, which used to be the top source of referrals. What else:
- It helps to keep your patients updated on new products and services
- Can do recalls from your blog- saving paper
- Can allow contact reorders from your blog
- Allows to increase the talk factor
- Increase SEO (Search Engine Optimization)
- Allow you to interact more with your patients
- Appeal to internet savvy patients and potential patients.
For reference- I’ve listed 15 blogs to look at. Some are good, some are so-so. But you will be able to see the difference between blogs and some of the things you can do to enhance your business. Most of these blogs came up on a google search, which is a very good thing. Take some time and evaluate whether this might be a good medium for you, especially if you do not have a current website.
Eye Boggling Blogs
- Bright Eye News
- Cleinman Blog – This is a good example of a blog set inside a website.
- CLE Contact Lenses (NY)
- D Mulvey Opticians
- Eye Doctors Blog– listing of all sorts of Eye Blogs
- Frames Direct– Eyecare Blog – this is actually a retail site as well.
- Glassy Eyes )love this blog
- Local Eye Site Blog
- MD Salaries
- See Better-
- The Eye Care Blog
- The Optical Blog
- The Optometry Blog
- Visionary Eyecare– FL
- Vision First-