Due to a post we did on Windshield Wiper Eyeglasses, we have had several people ask us where to get Windshield Wiper Eyeglasses. This link BeSpectacular.co.uk is broken.
If you are in Las Vegas, you can visit the Hard Rock Cafe to view Elton Johns infamous Windshield Wiper Eyeglasses.
The first patent for windshield wipers was issued in 1803 by Mary Anderson, but the first automatic windshield wipers were invented in1921. Called “Folberths,” after their inventors, Fred and Willaim Folberth, they were powered by an “air engine,” a device connected by a tube to the inlet pipe of the car’s motor.
But Elton John was not the inventor or the first user of Wiper Eyewear
Shades of Fun used to carry these back in 2004
Another YouTube Video on Homemade Windshield Wiper Sunglasses
But the person who really made these famous was of course Elton John
There are several patents For Eyeglasses with Wipers
- Eyeglass wipers Patent # 4789233
- Eyeglass wiper Patent # 2888703
- Shades with blades” Eyewear with attached wiping apparatus United States Patent 7364289 LINK
- “Glasses wiper structure” United States Patent 6339860 LINK
- “Attachable eyeglass wipers” United States Patent 6640379 Link
Bottom line, I don’t know who invented them. At one time (2004) they were available on the market. The best place to find a pair is probably ebay or other auction sites.