Safilo USA celebrated its 4th annual Take Our Daughters and Sons to Work Day on Thursday, April 25th, hosting over 50 children between the ages of five and 13 who were relatives or friends of Safilo employees.
Children participated throughout the day in an array of fun-filled organized activities. The hands-on interactive environment introduced them to many different areas of the company. Some of the day’s highlights included sessions on the following:
- “Giving Back to the Community” – Safilo presented to its young guests its long-standing philanthropic partnership with Special Olympics. They explored what it is like to be a good corporate citizen and what one can one do to give back as a company and as an individual. Children then prepared lunches or decorated the lunch packages that were to be distributed to those in need at The Hoboken Shelter in nearby Hoboken, NJ.
- “Planning” – Children participated in a supply chain game organized by the product planning department to help them better understand the supply chain process. Kids were split into teams designated as “vendor,” “warehouse” and “customer.” “Vendors” decorated paper sunglasses to spec and gave them to the “warehouse” team, who reviewed them and then passed onto the “customer” team, if specs were followed correctly. The “customer” team then performed an additional check and displayed the approved sunglasses in trays. The first team to accurately complete the supply chain process won the game.
- “Engagement” – Lead by the Human Resources department, the kids were introduced to the HR function and the important role the department plays in creating engagement within an organization. Activities were organized to develop team building, engagement and collaboration.
- “Show Your Brand DNA” – Children received an introduction to logos and branding. Each child decorated a T-shirt to express their own personal brand.
- “Store Ownership” –The children learned about what it takes to design and open an eyewear store. Invited in groups, the kids selected a location within Safilo’s Secaucus offices to open, name and merchandise their own stores using decorations, artwork and trade marketing materials.
- “Product Design” – Children were introduced to Smith, Safilo’s own sports brand. Tapping into their creative juices, each child was given the opportunity to select their own Smith snow helmet to personalize.
The children were treated to breakfast, a lunchtime pizza party and a movie screening in the company’s second-floor auditorium complete with popcorn and other refreshments.
“We are proud to once again participate in this meaningful global initiative that inspires our children to dream of themselves in boardrooms, create products and delve into design. This event encourages them to believe in themselves and to envision their future in our workplace where heritage, quality and diversity are evident throughout the day. The overwhelmingly positive experiences shared, the friendships made, and the feedback received, is what drives us each year to make the day bigger and better than the year before,” said Stefania DiPalma, Director Human Resources for Safilo North America.
Take Our Daughters and Sons to Work Day is based upon the national campaign, Take Our Daughters to Work Day, which was created in 1993 by the Ms. Foundation. This special global event gives children the opportunity to go to work with a parent instead of going to school for one day.
Close to 40 million parents and kids take part in Take Our Daughters and Sons to Work Day. The purpose of the program, which celebrates its 26th year in 2019, is to encourage, inspire, and introduce girls and boys across the country to the workplace and empower them to dream without gender limitations and think imaginatively about their family, work, and community lives. It is designed to help children expand their career aspirations by giving them a chance to experience various careers firsthand.
About Safilo Group
Safilo Group is a worldwide leader in the design, manufacturing and distribution of sunglasses, optical frames, sports eyewear and products. Thanks to strong craftsmanship expertise dating back to 1878, Safilo translates its design projects into high-quality products created according to the Italian tradition. With an extensive wholly owned network of subsidiaries in 40 countries – in North and Latin America, Europe, Middle East and Africa, and Asia Pacific and China – and more than 50 distribution partners in key markets, Safilo is committed to quality distribution of its products in nearly 100,000 selected points of sale all over the world. Safilo’s portfolio encompasses: own core brands Carrera, Polaroid, Smith, Safilo, Oxydo, and licensed brands: Dior, Dior Homme, Fendi, Banana Republic, BOSS, Elie Saab, Fossil, Givenchy, havaianas, HUGO, Jimmy Choo, Juicy Couture, kate spade new york, Liz Claiborne, Love Moschino, Marc Jacobs, Max Mara, Max&Co., Moschino, Pierre Cardin, rag&bone, Rebecca Minkoff, Saks Fifth Avenue, Swatch, and Tommy Hilfiger.