Is the trend of the POP Up Stores now going mobile? We have seen the growth of Food Trucks and now Fashion has gone mobile with Mobile Shopping or Tailgating. Mobile boutiques have grown in popularity over the past years, according to the American Mobile Retail Association and West Coast Mobile Retail Association. There are even Fashion Trucks on Kickstarter a crowd- sourcing site.
Is this an opportunity for EyeCare Professionals? Think about it, what a great way to sell contact lens solutions, eyewear accessories and sunglasses just by visiting your local office park. I don’t think you need to be dispensing eyeglasses. What you want is to provide fairly inexpensive, impulse buy products that can generate leads to your brick and mortar location.
What is the market? Right now it appears the market is women from their 20’s to 50’s. That means these women are mobile and social media friendly, so being on the internet is crucial to success. You can initially tie this into your website and Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest and Twitter, with the goal of separating in the future.
- Appear at Fairs, Farmers Markets, Schools, Festivals, Fundraisers, Charity Events, Office Parks and Home parties. You can even do Swap Meets. The potential outreach is enormous.
- Low Overhead vs. opening a new office.
- Economical to get into vs building out a new office.
- Appeals to an younger crowd.
- Don’t have to wait for people to go to you: you go to them. Plenty of places to visit.
- Smaller inventory.
- Creates a buzz.
- Provides a competitive edge.
- Able to go where the market is Hot and Trending.
- Check with your city codes. Licenses and Permits may be a problem.
- Weather permitting. On the other hand, you can always just do this 6-9 months out of the year.
- Repairs on Truck can be costly.
It is something to think about for the future and definitely a hot trend among shoppers today. It is wide open for innovation and for eyecare professionals.