Many of you have probably heard of Movember. Movember is a global health awareness month for men. (as opposed to October for women) In Movmember men sprout mustaches to raise awareness and funds for mens health, especially for prostrate and testicular cancer.
‘Once registered at Movember.com, men start Movember 1st clean shaven. For the rest of the month, these selfless and generous men, known as Mo Bros, groom, trim and wax their way into the annals of fine moustachery. Supported by the women in their lives, Mo Sistas, Movember Mo Bros raise funds by seeking out sponsorship for their Mo-growing efforts.
Mo Bros effectively become walking, talking billboards for the 30 days of November. Through their actions and words they raise awareness by prompting private and public conversation around the often ignored issue of men’s health.
At the end of the month, Mo Bros and Mo Sistas celebrate their gallantry and valor by either throwing their own Movember party or attending one of the infamous Gala Partés held around the world by Movember, for Movember.
The American Cancer Society’s estimates for prostate cancer in the United States for 2013 are:
- About 238,590 new cases of prostate cancer
- About 29,720 deaths from prostate cancer
- Prostate cancer is the most common type of cancer found in American men, other than skin cancer. Prostate cancer is the second leading cause of cancer death in men, behind only lung cancer. One man in 6 will get prostate cancer during his lifetime. And one man in 36 will die of this disease.
- Prostate cancer can be a serious disease, but most men found to have prostate cancer do not die from it. In fact, more than 2.5 million men in the United States who have had prostate cancer at some point are still alive today.
That said, why not start a customer engagement campaign for Movember? If you have men, grow your own mustache, send a Press Release to local media.
- Have your patients grow their ‘staches’ post on Facebook and have a party afterwards.
- Have a Moustache Trunk Show with proceeds going to the Prostrate Cancer Society.
- Put up a Jar with Signage saying something like ‘Celebrate Movember With Us”
- Give a part of each sale to Movember.