For me personally, I have several pet peeve’s- being called, honey, sweetie by a person I don’t even know and an ‘flick off’ sorry.
Trigger Words to Eliminate From Your Patient Interactions.
Don’t Say – Disagree- to the listener is ‘You Are Wrong’
- Say — ‘I understand your point of view’.
Don’t Say- Have to – as in – “You’ll have to speak to the manager yourself
- Say- Are you willing, or Will you
- Say- One thing we may consider doing….
Don’t Say- I can’t or you can’t – as in – “I can’t do anything about that” or “You can’t do that”
- Say- I am unable to because
Don’t Say- I’ll try – as in – “I’ll try and speak to finance department today”
- Say-This is what I am able to do
Don’t Say– However, I will try
- Say- Eliminate the word however
Don’t Say- But – as in – “I agree with what you’re saying but…..”
- Say- Try not to use the word but, ‘I agree with what you are saying.. Are you willing…
Don’t Say- Sorry – as in – “I’m sorry ’bout that”
- Say- I apologize
Don’t Say- Compromise- is like disagreeing
- Say- I understand your concern, what do you think will be fair?
Don’t Say- Company Policy-
- Say- We appreciate your feedback and we will try to make it right…