We really like receivingOWA‘s One Minute Mentor and like to post them when we think there is a good one for our optical readers. This is a good one for anyone feeling stuck in an optical career rut. Also, it gave me an idea for another good subject to post on – “Before and After Eyewear Makeovers”. Send stories and pictures if you have any please!
Power Up Your Career Makeover! by Deborah Lochli McGrath:
Makeovers on television shows and in magazines are enticing to most women. Of course the reason they are so popular, is because the idea of getting a fresh start in life is a golden key we have all dreamt about at one time or another.
Career makeovers are not a new concept and if you think about it, making over your career will automatically set a chain reaction in motion that will affect all aspects of your life, particularly those that are unsatisfactory.
Here are some ideas which can take your career makeover to a whole new level!
1. How do you perceive yourself? Are you confident? Do you like yourself? Are you proud of your accomplishments? What is your attitude to life, on working, on the value that you bring to your job? How do you feel about your career? Do you feel in control of your future? Working on your “inner self” is of critical importance when it comes to creating a career makeover.
2. Get balanced. A key component of effectively managing your career starts with managing your time efficiently. Do you keep your work life separate from your home life? Do you take time to recharge your batteries so that you feel refreshed? This is probably one of the most difficult areas when it comes to career makeovers. It takes a lot of courage to “draw the line” when it comes to balancing your life.
3. Begin with a vision. Having an idea of where you want to go is one of the most important steps in your career makeover. Until you know where you want to be or what you want to have, it’s impossible to decide on the correct steps to get you there. Give yourself permission to think about what you really want, dare to dream a little.
4. Be the change. Once you have a vision of what you think you might want. It’s now time to assess where you are now. What are your strengths and your weaknesses? What skills do you have? You need to know where you are now versus where you want to be in the future. Here is where the career makeover really takes place and this is the secret to making it possible…
5. Hone your skills. One of the most obvious ways to create a career makeover is to work on your skills. Whether you go back to school to earn an advanced degree or take training classes here and there, anything that you can do to improve yourself can benefit your career. Learn more about your industry; attend conferences where you can keep abreast of the latest trends. Network with possible mentors. If you are doing work you love you will be passionate about absorbing as much information about your field as you can!
6. Plan for the future. No matter who you are or whom you know, you career will have its ups and downs. These days it’s unrealistic to think you’ll have a job for life. These are realities of work life today.
ALL women need a strategic career plan. Your career makeover is ultimately your responsibility. You are the master of your life and it’s up to you to make a plan. Once you have a clear plan, take the steps that lead you to fulfilling your ultimate vision.