Martin Luther King Day is January 20, 2014. He was born in Atlanta, January 15, 1929 and was killed April 4, 1968) He was a pastor as well as a civil rights activist best known for his role in the African-American Civil Rights Movement. Despite the racial violence of the 60’s he believed in civil disobedience.
Here are some interesting facts about this amazing man, to ponder and to share…
- He was named after his father Michael. Michale King Jr. name was changed when his father went to Germany and wanted to pay tribute to Martin Luther, ergo Michael King became Martin Luther King Jr at the ripe age of 2.
- Lorraine Bailey also died at the Lorraine Motel in Memphis. She was the wife of the motel owner and had a heart attack, which resulted in her death.
- King smoked. He was on the balcony smoking when he was killed. He didn’t want the church and his kids to smoke so you will rarely find a picture of him smoking.
- On September 20, 1958 there was an assassination attempt on Martin Luther King Jr. A woman stabbed him in the chest with a letter opener on a book signing stop.
- He was smart and skipped two grades in high school, 9th and 11th. At the young age of 15 he entered college (Moorehouse College,
1944) and received his B.S at the age of 19.
- A friend loaned him his funeral parlor for his honeymoon. And that is what he did.
- Want more information? The FBI’s surveillance records, written and audio records are held in the National Archives, but are sealed from public access until 2027.
- He stated in many speeches that he didn’t expect to live long, especially his speech April 3, 1968
- Rumor has it, that he didn’t need to wear glasses, he thought glasses made him look distinguished.
As far as the eyewear and sunwear goes, I would guess he is wearing a Shuron, Ronsir, a RayBan club master, or an American Optical, Victory Optial or Tart Optical.