The question comes up over and over, how to train your staff and where to get optical- eyecare training. As eyecare professionals you have several choices, hire an experienced optician, para or tech or hire someone and train them yourselves. Both options have pros and cons. Experienced optician are not always the best and newbies take a lot of time, but you can train them your way.
We believe that no matter who you hire, training show be ongoing, with weekly or monthly mandatory ‘classes.’ Attending local educational events and trade shows should also be mandatory, whether they are ABO or not.
In Fact in recent surveys say 76% of employees want on the job training. (Source)
Many Resources Are Free
- Trade Magazines- offer many options and some ABO courses. Pick an article or course and make it part of a staff meeting.
- Vendors– Many of your vendors currently offer CE or optical education via their websites. Companies such as Hilco offer videos, companies such as Nanofilm, Camber Lens, Shamir, Signet Armorlite,
- Your Reps– Reps are fountains of information. From product to merchandising to sales. Having a rep come in once a month to provide training is an effective way to beef up your staff meetings and train staff.
- YouTube– Great videos on fitting and adjusting frames, frame repair, how glasses are made and more. When a patient asks you why these glasses are so expensive, you will be able to run them throughout the steps on how glasses are made without slave labor. Spectacle Eyeglasses demonstrates an in store demonstration or from a Lab. How Prescription Eyeglasses Are Made and Vizio- RX has a series of dispensing and fixing eyeglasses.
- Ceeing is Believing by OD’s on Facebook via EyeCare Pro (This is not free)
Optician Training- Optical Staff, Para- Optometrics and Optometrists
- AOA– Provides a Training Manual for all types of Staff.
- AOA- Eye Learn for Optometrists
- CE4 Optometry– Canada
- ECP Interact– Peer to Peer Portal offered by VisionWest and C&E
- ECP University
- ED2 Go– Optician Training Program
- EyeCE Online for optometrists and opticians. Includes Contact Lenses
- Eye Tec– for ophthalmic technicians.
- Eye Train 4 You by Rebecca Johnson. Self study with flash cards.
- Find that CE– Ophthalmology
- George Mason University– Online Education to become an Optician
- Hilco- Fitting and Adjusting Video Series on YouTube
- Hoya U- Empower U, a multimedia, 24-7 online training and continuing education program, designed specifically to support independent eyecare practices.
- ICoat Optical Lab– offers free education online.
- Laramy K- FREE Open ABO Study Project,
- Los Angeles Pierce College- Online Optician Training
- Lens Guru– Searchable database of Progressive lenses. You can search minimum fitting height, material, color. Provided charts for fitting, photochromics and freeform lenses.
- National Academy of Opticianry Home Study and online courses.
- New England College of Optometry
- Ophthalmic Hyperguide– an online source for online continuing medical education.
- Opti Professor– Exam prep with Flash Cards for ABO and NCLE.
- Optical Training
- Optical Training Institute ABO and NCLE
- Opticians For Change.com– You have to search through this morass, but some good information and videos. For downloads click here . Hari Singh has quite a few of these websites, you can browse through and look. Some good information is available. TimeForCraftsmanship.com,, ServingVersusSelling.com, OpticalGuidelines.com, OpticianryToday.com, OpticalShiftHappens.com
- Optician Online
- Optician Training
- OptoCase- Optometry – Free
- OptoPrep– Offers testing information for Optometrist getting ready to take their exams.
- Pacific University– online CE
- Pass Your Optical Boards- Online site for opticians which provides test questions.
- Quantum Optical ‘One-stop” resource for all training and continuing education needs with live and online CE courses for optical professionals, and corporate services for vendors, labs and associations. VisionWest offers a discount on this online source.
- Penn Foster Career School Online
- SCCO CE online
- The Vision Council– Has all sorts of resources for Digital Vision Syndrome, UV protection and more.
- Transitions Optical- Offers a myriad of resources for eyecare practioneers of all types
- Vision West buying group has several options for training for both optician and optometrists.
- Walman Optical offers some Jumpstart Education from lenses to redo to practice management
- Vistakon has a huge resource base with fitting calculators, practice growth and practice Management.
- ABB/ Concise
- Ciba Academy
- Cooper Vision
- Bausch and Lomb Center For Patient Insights– This is consumer oriented, but a good resources for trainees on eye health.
- Vision Care Institute (Free) By Johnson and Johnson. Only one course.
Contact Lens Education From Organizations and Trade Press
- Contact Lenses Today
- Contact Lens Society of America University has over 100 online courses. CLSA is dedicated to the education, evolution, and promotion of contact lens technology. The objective of the CLSA is to promote education, mutual understanding and cooperation among all persons interested in contact lens fitting
- Contact Lens Association of Ophthalmogists
- Eye & Contact Lens: Science and Clinical Practice
- Contact Lens Spectrum– Trade Press
- American Board of Opticianry and National Contact Lens Examiners
Contact Lens Fitting
- Eye Dock- Reference guide for OD’s to find anything about contact lens and fitting difficult to fit lenses. It is a one stop shop to get the parameters of any manufacturer’s up to date list. $43 yearly fee
- OD Specs
Contact Lens Ordering
- Patient Wire– on line service for ordering replacement contact lenses using the ODs web site and manufacturers / distributors.
Consumer Friendly Eye Health Information
- All About Vision
- Get Eye Smart
- GP Contact Lenses (Contact Lens Manufacturing Association) This is also a consumer friendly site but has great info for the eyecare professional as well.
- National Eye Institute
- Eyecare America
- Healthy Women and Eyes
- Web MD
- US Food and Drug Adminstration This website gives information about the latest innovations on contact lenses. It provides general information and is not meant to replace a discussion an eye care professional.
- 20/20 Mag/ CE
There are many other resources. Most schools have online CE, there are Ski and Learn, Sail and Learn and Podcasts.