We recently received this email from a new eye doctor: We applaud her for asking this important question as a budding entrepreneur.
‘I recently opened my private practice and I having a tough time setting production goals for myself and team members. Do you have any suggestions on how to go about this?’
Setting up goals is important for any business, the reason why- if you write down and track, statistics show, you are much more likely to meet your goals.
In the case of a new business and old business, we recommend a process called Open Book Management. Open book management is a management process in which key information is shared with employees to help them do their job more successfully and effectively. Information such as revenue, profit, cost of goods, cash flow and expenses.
When employees understand numbers, they are more likely to work as a team to achieve results. I know of one very successful eye doc, who opened cold and every week at the staff meeting numbers were discussed. When certain key numbers were reached, staff were rewarded with days off, no work on Saturdays, trips to Vision Expo and other trade events. The staff loved it, they felt they were valuable and trusted and believe me, everyone worked to achieve the goals.
- Contact Lens Sales
- Eyewear Sales
- 2nd Pair Sales
- Add On Sales, Scratch coat, UV, AR, Mirror, Tints
- Sunglass Sales
- Premium Lens Sales
- Accessory: Cases, contact lens solutions, eyewear retainers, clip ons, magnifiers
- Any other products or or services you provide
- If you have an in house edger, you might track re-dos. (costly)
- Many local state associations have New OD information. The California Optometric Association has a New OD Resource Guide
- AOA Connect– has lots of resources for eyecare professionals
- Jobson has a Management And Business Academy Newsletter
- Optometric Management is a great website that also has a New OD site
- Walt West Practice Management blog has some great tips
- Your contact lens companies have all sorts of resources to help manage and grow contact lens business.
- Transitions Optical has a chockful of great material for all eyecare providers
- Alan Glazier has a wonderful OD’s on Facebook forum in which many questions are answered.
- California Optometric Association has a New OD forum
- OptiBoard, one of our top sources has opticians, optometrists and even ophthalmologist who have their questions answered.
- Linked in has quite a few forums for eyecare professionals.