I can’t believe I have to pay quarterly tax estimates already, oh but these are still of 2012 and it is now 2013! Jan 15 is the date for those of us that have to pay estimated taxes every quarter unless Form 1040 is filed by January 31, 2013 and any tax due is paid with the return! The higher employee payroll tax at 6.2% is effective immediately.
Here are some other important dates for the first quarter 2013 Tax Calendar:
- Optical business owners should have already provided employees with their copies of Form W-2 for 2012.
- File Form 940 (Employers Annual Federal Unemployment (FUTA) tax return) for 2012.
- Most employers must also file Form 941 to report Medicare, SS and income taxes withheld in the fourth quarter of 2012.
- The government’s copy of Form 1099 series returns (along with the appropriate transmittal form) should be sent in by today. However, if these forms will be filed electronically, the due date is extended to April 1.
- The government’s copy of Form W-2 series returns (along with the appropriate transmittal form) should be sent in by today. However, if these forms will be filed electronically, the due date is extended to April 1.
- File Form W-3 (Transmittal of Wage and Tax Statements) along with Copy A of all the Forms W-2 you issued for 2012. If you file Forms W-2 electronically, your due date will be extended to April 1.
- 2012 income tax returns must be filed or extended for calendar-year corporations. If the return is not extended, this is also the last day for calendar-year corporations to make 2012 contributions to pension and profit-sharing plans.