Not to harp on Diabetes: According to the American Diabetes Association:
People with diagnosed diabetes accounts for more than 1 in 5 health care dollars in the U.S., and more than half of that expenditure is directly attributable to diabetes.
Indirect costs include:
- increased absenteeism ($5 billion) and
- reduced productivity while at work ($20.8 billion) for the employed population,
- reduced productivity for those not in the labor force ($2.7 billion),
- inability to work as a result of disease-related disability ($21.6 billion), and
- lost productive capacity due to early mortality ($18.5 billion