A new start up called The Fancy has taken the online selling of designer goods- eyeglasses to a new level. Taking the concept of Pinterest adding a Zappos/Amazon touch with a little bit of Gilt thrown, add a Groupon ‘buy now’ and you have The Fancy, where you can I Fancy It and buy online.
Browse through the selections from vacations to eyewear and click the Fancy It button and it can be yours.
Fancy was launched in last year by Joe Einhorn and has big time backers such as Ashton Kutcher, Marc Andreessen and others. Kanye West is actively engaged with it and Tweets about it. According to Business Insider, they have 250,000 registered users, most being men. That is probably a good time as most sites seem to appeal to women.
Here is how it works
- Users will continue to post images from across the web on The Fancy. Merchants will browse fancied items and click an “I want to sell this” button if they have it in stock. The merchant will name a price, list the quantity available and use The Fancy to fulfill orders.
- For example, Etsy items get posted frequently. Its merchants can peruse The Fancy, find their products, and sell them to users who have fancied them and pre-stated their interest.
- As images become available for purchase, interested users will receive a notification. Products can be added to their shopping carts, bought and shipped on The Fancy while merchants can manage inventory on the back end.
- Vacations can also be booked on The Fancy. If a user posts an image of a resort or a destination, another can check availability and book rooms.
- Users can save their personal information and track orders from The Fancy too.
- The Fancy will take 10% off group deals and a traditional referral fee on hotel reservations.