‘Every day I get out of bed, I think to myself, ‘How can I help this team win games.?’ Pat Williams
One of the most successful optical offices I knew, had a huge end of year sale, starting the day after Thanksgiving. They were jammed packed solidly for the last 6 weeks of the year. They put half of their inventory on sale and because they did this for years, they were selling 20 pairs of Eyeglasses and lenses every day! They ended up selling current merchandise and accessories along with the sale items. What they accomplished was multi-fold- Got patients to come back every year, Created a loyal customer base, increased sales the last part of the year, reduced their inventory (less inventory tax) brought in enough money to replenish the dispensary with fresh updated product, reduced costs even more by not returning product, and increased cash flow!
Having promotions and sales is a good thing and part of any retail strategy. What Promotions can do for you:
- Get new customers
- Keep old customers
- Move old and dated product
- Create Excitement in the store
- Promote your Brand- You
- Help Create demand for your products and services
- Assist in cash flow
- Increase Sales
- Reduce Inventory
- Increase inventory turns
- Reduce Return Costs
- Increases the Talk Factor- for Word of Mouth Marketing Opportunities
Retail Promotion Tips
- Choose a Promotion that fits your industry and audience
- Maintain a calendars of all planned and actual promotional events – include your community events
- Schedule your promotions 3-4 months in advance
- Track your Results
Top 10 Ideas That Work
1.)- Offer Monthly or Quarterly Special Promotions
- January- All Accessories on sale
- February- In honor of Valentines day, all red frames on sale
- March- All green frames
- Mother’s or Fathers Day Promotion
- August- Back to School Promotion
2.) Special promotions;
- National Vision Week
- Secretary’s Day
- First Day of Spring
3.) Once a year ‘Patient Appreciation Day
- Offer to all your patients a 50% discount off selected products- great way to get rid of slow movers’
4.) Senior Citizen Month
- Send offers out to local retirement homes and communities. Offer a discount on bifocals, progressives, free tints. Good for 1 month.
5.) Have a Summer Sunglass Sale-
- Great incentive in March and April to get your patients ramped up for the summer. Offer Free ‘Sport Vision Consulting’
6.) Make a Big Deal about your 5,000 customers
- When you hit a certain milestone of customers, announce it and throw yourself a party with your patients as a special thank-you.
7.) Make a big deal about the 1000 pair of glasses sold this year
- 2000 QUALITY EYEGLASSES SOLD- Another- throw a Thank You Party with a Sales Promotion tied in .
8.) Have a 100,000 Day open for business- Another Thank You Party with a Sales Promotion tied in
9. ) Year End Sale: Use your Flex Benefits Now!
10.) Have a Midnight Madness Sale- Go for the Insomniacs!