As we come into Halloween, many or your patients will be purchasing Halloween contact lenses online and many eyecare professionals will see the horrific results of many of those purchases. This is the time NOW to start reminding them of the dangers of Decorative Contact Lenses.
Earlier this year study was done on Decorative Contact Lens that says that. Most decorative contact lens sellers fail to meet regulations
- 72% of 18 online sites evaluated failed to adhere to FTC and FDA regulations for selling decorative contact lenses.
- many individuals who obtain decorative contact lenses illegally from unauthorized sources are young adults.
22 optometrists completed an online survey that was reported in Eye & Contact Lens.
- 77% of respondents reported having patients with complications from decorative contact lenses that were purchased both legally and illegally.
- 25% of the lenses were purchased illegally, with unlicensed stores being the most common place of purchase.
- 33% of the contact lens complications arose in first-time contact lens wearers
- 50% of those patients were unaware of the proper use and care of contact lenses.