I was just wondering what the market is for Contact Lenses. It seems it’s a little difficult to find fully updated figures. These are old numbers, but they can give you a general idea of your contact lens market potential. These numbers came from 1999 study, Contact Lens Spectrum (2003)
Number of People Wearing Contact Lens
- Approximately 34 million people in the United States wear contact lenses according to press release from Johnson and Johnson Vision Care
- About 3 Million People wear contact Lenses in the UK
- Nearly 100 Million World wide wear Contact Lens
- Soft Contacts approximately 27.6 million wears.
- Rigid Gas Perms- approximately 5.6 wears.
- 2/3 of soft contacts wearers use disposable lenses.
- Approximate market $2.5 Billion (1999)
Type of Contact Lens People wearing in the US
- Estimated 87% of contact lens wearers – soft contacts.
- Estimated 13% wear rigid gas permeable (RGP) contact Lens
Soft Contact Lens Wear by Lens Design
- Over 80% of soft contact lenses sold (USA) are spherical desigb
- Approximately 13% are toric lenses to correct astigmatism.
- About 5% are bifocal lenses to correct presbyopia
Soft Contact Lens Wear (by wearing schedule)
- Approximately 80% of soft contact lens wearers use daily wear lenses
- About 20% use extended wear lenses that are approved for overnight wear.
- Approximately80 percent of soft contact lens wearers use daily wear lenses that are designed to be removed and cleaned each day before sleep.About 20 percent use extended wear lenses that are approved for overnight wear.
Soft Contact Lens Wear by replacement schedule
- Disposable- 46%
- Planned replacement (1-3 months) 305
- Conventional (6-12 months) 245
Soft Contact Lens Wear by lens color
- 85% – Clear or have faint tinting
- Color lenses= 15%
Contact Lens wearers by Sex
- Soft Contact Lens- Female 64% – Male -36%
- RGP Contact Lens- Female 70%- Male- 30%
Percentage by Age
- 17 and Under- 10%
- 18-25- 23%
- 26-39- 45%
- 40+- 22%
- 17 and Under- 35
- 18-25- 10%
- 26-39- 26%
- 40+- 61%
- Association of Contact Lens Manufacturers
- Barr, Joseph. “Contact Lenses 2002: Annual Report.” Contact Lens Spectrum Jan. 2003: 24-31.
- Contact Lens Council. “Statistics on Contact Lens Wear in the U.S.” 7 Nov. 2004 http://www.contactlenscouncil.com/pcon-stats.htm. (Based on 2000 data.)
- Contact Lens Spectrum