We have mentioned in several posts building your ‘Brand’. So what exactly does that mean? Brand Recognition is the ability of your customers and patients to immediately recognize you, the specific business you are in from a logo, a motto, slogan, a product or your services. The logo, motto and slogan should stand out on every piece of literature, business cards, letterheads, advertising, website, blog and even your car! People will shop at your optical location due to your ‘Brand’, feel good about it and refer others.
Why is it important? Think about what the following Brands stand for:
Each of the above brands have exhibited ‘Value Leadership’. And each represent a whole market segment that was previously unknown.
- Cost-Co- represents- bulk buys, no bags, no baggers in an open warehouse-low prices
- Starbucks- represents a lifestyle choice, emotional appeal. Who would have thought that we would be paying $4.00 for a cup of coffee?
- FedX- Raised our expectations of delivery . Tagline- ‘Absolutely, positively’
- Apple-innovative, niche market, cutting edge products
You can also build a PERSONAL BRAND-which is all about you, your work, style and value you offer and how others perceive you. It could be making a play on your name, (i.e. the man formerly known as Prince), your clothes, hairstyle, packaging of your office, uniqueness, your personality, credibility.
Personal Brand People who have their own image and identity
- Donald Trump
- Jerry Springer
- Paris Hilton
- Mother Teresa
Building your Brand takes time and long term consistency. It should be a team effort- with each staff member knowing exactly what your Brand means and stands for so they are also driven to send your message and increase your Brand Recognition.
What you can do:
- Have a staff discussion on Brands and what it means to them. As part of the discussion find out what ‘Brands’ they prefer.
- Discuss your ‘Brand’ what it means and how are you getting the Brand across to patients and customers. How is your ‘Brand’ different from the competition?
- Develop a long term ‘Branding Message’ and marketing plan using your personality, values and image.