Arbor Day is a national holiday in the USA in which people and groups are encouraged to go out and plant a tree. The first Arbor Day was in Nebraska on April 10, 1872 and if you can believe this, it is estimated that one million trees were planted that day. J.Sterling Morton, a newspaper editor, talked Nebraskans to make April 22 an annual day to plant trees. Trees are greatly needed for erosion control, clean air, fuel, building, shade and windbreaks.
The national Arbor Day is the last Friday in April, which is April 25, 2014. Note each state has their own Arbor Day. The official tree of the USA is the Oak. Not only that, many other countries celebrate their own Arbor Day, although that day is usually known as Tree Day.
To celebrate, we are featuring eyeballs on trees or trees looking at you.
Eye Bogglers: And HOPEFULLY This encourages every one to go paperless!
- If there were no trees, we would all die because they are the primary source of oxygen
- Over 10 Million Trees are cut down every year.
- According to the USDA, each year 20,000,000 (million) trees taking up 5,000,000 acres of “natural” forest is cut down to produce 27,000 tons of paper for the publishing industry.
- The United States is claimed to have 6 times the per capita consumption of paper over the world average.
- The paper industry is the third highest emitter of industrial greenhouse gases to the air in the world, and the fifth highest emitter of industrial toxic waste to water
- The planet is exposed to 250,000 metric tons of toxic pollutants from paper manufacturers each year
- One ton of recycled paper can save the equivalent of 24 trees of 40 foot height, 6 to 8 inch diameter.
- One ton of recycled paper can save the equivalent of 7000 gallons of water; 60 pounds of air pollution; and 4100 killowatt hours of electricity.
Marketing For Arbor Day
- If you are selling Wood Eyewear, make sure the the companies are using wood from sustainable sources.
- Some eyewear companies plant a tree for every frame sold. Advertise that fact.
- Make a donation to organizations like Rainforest Alliance or Plant a Billion Trees for every product sold that day or week.
- Go out an plant some trees!
- Post on Facebook or your blog.